Thursday, April 12, 2007

My opinion on Imus

If I say a word and an East-German punk with a mohawk says the same word, they don't mean the same thing. Example: If I call someone a fascist, I mean that he is a leaning-towards-fascist official in a non-fascist government. If he says the word, he is being complicit in his government's propaganda.

Therefore, Don Imus calling (mostly) black women "nappy-headed hos" is not the same as a hip-hop artist saying it. Don Imus does not get to call people that. However, Don Imus is 2 people, an individual and a character on his talk-show that likes to make outlandish statements. His character spoke those words, obviously a joke of some sort, using language that he obviously doesn't use in everyday life, to make a jab.

I believe he was wronged, but I also believe it's too complex for me to figure out. What I do know is that he was fired by MSNBC for the sake of their ratings and not for any high ideals. CBS's subsequent firing can only be seen as a necessary and inevitable firing..... meaning, if they hadn't done it they would've looked bad.

I think he should stay, but I'm not sure I could win a debate about it with someone who strongly disagreed with me.

No comments: